Printing Technologies of Printing Fabric
In practice, there are several printing technologies that used to produce printing fabric. To better understand printing fabrics, this time, we will introduce you six of these technologies, namely, discharge, reactive, white ink, water base pigment, oil base pigment, and cotton burn out.
1. Discharge Printing: Discharge printing is printing on a dyed fabric, this method uses destroying agents such as chlorine or hydrosulfide to destroy color on the fabric and makes colorful print on it. This type of printing has ability to make bright, opaque on dark fabrics. The printed fabric is then steamed and washed thoroughly.
2. Reactive Printing: Reactive printing is generally made using heating process and this is the method of printing a wax, dyes, pigments or other colorants onto a fabric or some other printable materials. The printing process uses plate method, first the image print onto a first substrate which acts as an intermediate between the first substrate and the materials substrate and then the image is transferred to the materials substrate that may be cotton or some other printable material, here the colorants cross linking takes place by the reaction between compounds selected from each of two chemical groups. These two chemical groups capable with reacting with active hydrogen and anyone of this group if it is present in the ink, then the image prints onto the material substrate.
3. White Ink Print: White ink print is mainly done on dark or light colored fabrics. The printing method involves mixing titanium dioxide with other auxiliaries into the colorants to give different color combination.
4. Water Base Pigment Printing: Water base pigment is a type of powder that has to be mixed with water to get pigments. The powder comes in various colors, and different shades of each color can get by amount the water mixed in the powder. During the mixing, there is possibility for dust particle to get into it. However, since the mix up makes a soft paste, the dust particles can be dried out easily. Water base pigments are the largest majority of pigments used today. It gives quality and long lasting print.
5. Oil Base Pigment Printing: Oil based pigment printing gives fine and quality prints and the print made on any fabrics can be dried out quickly. The pigment comes oil based and the amount of pigments can be increases by additives. The different colors can get by adding white oil pigments into the colored pigment. The additive is mainly used to increase the amount without spoiling the color hue.